Sunday, April 17, 2011

Unhappy Ending......... Great

Okay, so I was watching this movie last night and it was absolutely fantastic! I mean just the way all the different little stories wove together was brilliant! And then finally, at like ten minutes to go until the end, just when you think everything is all wonderful and the guy and the girl are finally going to get together, and there is this great movement brought upon the world, what happens? Oh, yeah, the main character gets stabbed and dies! I mean I was just like "WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" Yes, the ending was beautiful and it wouldn't have been as great a movie if the main character had lived, but I mean really? LAST TEN MINUTES!!!!!!

(Sigh.) But this brings me to a certain point: Are books better with unhappy endings? Well, yes and no. I think it depends on the plot. (WARNING: THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR VARIOUS BOOKS! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!) Can you imagine if Harry Potter had a sad ending? If after seven books Harry died??? (Well, I mean, you know, died and stayed dead.) Or if in Lord of the Rings Frodo hadn't destroyed the ring? And there are books like the Gemma Doyle series where the girl has two different options in love and at the end of the of the third book ends up with neither. Very disappointing, but it made the book that much more beautiful, realistic, and well written.

So I ask you, dear reader: What is your opinion? Do you think that unhappy endings makes books better? Or does it make you say, "Unhappy ending...... Great." ?

No comments: